Wednesday, April 19, 2006

last days

The New York Times, April 20, 2006:
ROVE IS GIVING UP DAILY POLICY POST TO FOCUS ON VOTE
The overhaul of the White House staff intensified on Wednesday as Karl Rove, one of the president's most powerful and feared advisers, gave up day-to-day control over the administration's domestic policy to concentrate on the midterm elections. Scott McClellan, the White House press secretary, said he was stepping down.

INT. OVAL OFFICE - DAY

GEORGE W. BUSH, the president, is conducting an exit interview with KARL ROVE and SCOTT McCLELLAN.

BUSH
I hate to see you guys go.

McCLELLAN
As I've said before, that's not something we're going to discuss at this time.

Everybody laughs.

BUSH
You sure did have to say that a lot on my behalf.

McCLELLAN
I can't comment while there's an ongoing investigation.

ROVE
That joke's going to get old pretty fast.

BUSH
Give him a chance. He's been repeating the same phrases for years.

ROVE
Maybe it's time to change the circuitry.

McCLELLAN
I think we've already addressed that matter.

ROVE
Shut up, Scott.

ROVE opens the back panel on McCLELLAN's back and flips a switch. McCLELLAN slumps forward, accompanied by the sound effect of an android being deactivated.

BUSH
He was a robot this whole time?!?

DETECTIVE ALLEN
That's right. I checked his alibi, and it didn't hold up.

It begins to rain.

LAURA
I love you, George. I always have. I should have told you sooner.

BUSH
Wait, Laura, if you're here, who's looking after the kids?

CUT TO:

INT. WHITE HOUSE KITCHEN - CONTINUOUS

BARNEY, a Scottish Terrier, is wearing an apron and serving the twins breakfast.

JENNA
Eggs again?

BARBARA
Barney!

BARNEY resigns as White House dog.