Thursday, July 13, 2006

friedman rock

A transcript follows.

Let's get today's chat started.

Our guest is acclaimed author Thomas L. Friedman, author of "The World Is Flat" and "The Lexus and the Olive Tree." He first came to my attention as the author of 1989's "From Beirut to Jerusalem," a National Book Award winner. As an expert on globalization and the Middle East, he should offer some interesting insights into today's increasingly volatile international situation.



Thomas L. Friedman: Hey everyone, good to be here.



Raleigh, NC: Fried -

I hope that you've gotten a lot of messages like this, but I think the Friedman Rock crew should collectively pour a sip on the ground for Syd Barrett. Thanks.

Thomas L. Friedman: I'm not sure what you're talking about, but thanks for joining us.


Washington, D.C.: How sad and ironic that Syd Barret died on the same day Pink Floyd released the long-awaited Pulse DVD. Even though he was never an integral part of the band's success. His much-publicized influence on the band has never been properly credited. Without Syd, my favorite Floyd album, "Wish You Were Here," never happens.

I'm sure Gilmour and the boys will send all of the profits from this latest release to his estate. They have been compensating his estate since he left.

Thomas L. Friedman: I think you may have logged into the wrong chat.


Takoma Park, Md.: So, what do you like for R and B this summer.

I caught Van Hunt opening for the Heavies this weekend and WHOA!

I picked up Omar's new release, "Sing...if you want it" from the UK. Great stuff.

Tough for a guy raised in the 80's on quality funk and R&B to find music today. Everybody is following, not enough people stretching out.

Thomas L. Friedman: You mentioned the UK. It will be interesting to see how their policy shifts in a post-Blair government.


national cathedral: What's up with Fugazi? Are they still together, they have not done the Fort Reno thing is ages. I am from here but lived over seas most of my life and missed most of their very active years. Any news?

thanks I love these chats

Thomas L. Friedman: An overseas guest! Welcome to the chat. It's clear that even in the world of online discussions, globalism is making its presence known. The Internet makes this sort of cross-ocean conversation possible. I am not sure who Fugazi is.

Let's shift the discussion over to Middle East topics.


Atlanta, Ga.: This down year in music will certainly pick up on August 22nd. That's the day that Outkast's "Idlewild" will drop.

Thomas L. Friedman: Seriously, does anyone have any questions about the Middle East?


Whither the Long Golden Mohawk?: Have there been any Sly Stone sightings since the Grammys?

Thomas L. Friedman: I am not sure. I will point out that the Grammys have added more world music categories recently, and even given over a separate awards show to the Latin Grammys.

I'd love to talk about the current geopolitical climate.


Truth or Consequences, NM: Nothing to say about the Thom Yorke album?

Thomas L. Friedman: No.


Bethesda, Md.: rest in peace syd Barrett,

I had heard rumors that Syd was not in the best of health, wonder if this will spur the rest of the band to do a concert....?

Thomas L. Friedman: The tech guru running this chat tells me that the band in question is Pink Floyd, who played at the Live 8 concerts arranged to coincide with the G8 summit last year.

There's an interesting discussion to be had regarding debt relief and globalism if anyone wants to talk about it.



Glen Ellyn, Ill.: Mr. Friedman,

Have you joined Jay-Z's Cristal boycott yet? I'm thinking of going back to Rolling Rock myself.

Thomas L. Friedman: I read about this boycott in The Economist. Unfortunately I'm no expert on hip hop music. No takers on the globalism/debt-relief discussion?


Arlington, Va.: TLF, I must commend you on your recommendations. I took a chance on Gnarls Barkley a couple of months ago and after last week, I downloaded LDN. Both songs have since made my Mix CD Of The Summer. What else do you recommend these days?

By the way, I promise to properly attribute any listeners' amazement and delight in my car to you, but I can't promise any royalties.

Thomas L. Friedman: The books on tape version of "The World Is Flat" is great listening for the commute.

I'm not familiar with the other music you mention. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

Cash: Hey Friedman,

Got the new Cash CD and it is really good. One of the best is a Springsteen tune which I don't think ever appeared on a Bruce CD.

Rather depressing for the younger folk but for an old guy like me (49), it really hit the spot......

Thomas L. Friedman: Well, I do know who Johnny Cash and Bruce Springsteen are. Unfortunately, I have not heard the most recent Cash CD. In fact, I thought he passed away some time ago. Does he really have a new CD?

At 49, you are not old!

There's some serious stuff happening in the Middle East. Let's talk about it.


Speaking of "The Boss".....: Rage Against The Machine's "The Ghost of Tom Joad" and video of the song totally rock. -sigh- Too bad they're not still around.

Thomas L. Friedman: Nobody expected Ariel Sharon's Kadima party to survive after his stroke, but Olmert has done a good job of keeping it together. Of course, some suggest his lack of hardline military experience means he must make concessions to strong defense elements of the government in order to maintain power. The flare up in Gaza (and now Lebanon) might derail his plans for a unilateral West Bank pull out.


Silver Spring, Md.: Do you like Trance/Electronica music (like Paul Oakenfold, Sasha, Paul Van Dyk)?

Thomas L. Friedman: I was in Beirut during its last period of violence, as discussed in my book "From Beirut to Jerusalem." They recently made steps towards independence from the interfering hands of Syria after the assassination of Rafik Hariri, but much of that progress seems lost now.

More fun in the new world....: Henry Rollins is touring with X! Are you going to the 930 Club on 8/15? Will you bootleg the show for me? (I keed, I keed.)

Thomas L. Friedman: Last chance for anyone who wants to discuss the Middle East...

Rage....: I love their cover and live performance with Cypress Hill on "How I Could Just Kill A Man." Cypress Hill is one of the best rap groups of all time. Or at least through their first 3-4 albums.

Thomas L. Friedman: You assholes are wasting an incredible opportunity. I am a fucking genius on globalism.

Washington, D.C.: Lily Allen's latest album is available on her myspace page. I am listening to it now. Not bad.

End of transcript.